How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Laurier Manor, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Certified Music Therapist: We have a Certified Music Therapist who works individually with residents, playing instruments and singing songs relevant to the resident’s past as a way to socialize with them and exercise their cognitive abilities. She also works in a group setting and has formed a resident choir that now performs concerts twice a year including at Christmas.
- Music and Memory: Through our Music and Memory program, residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- Pet Therapy: Through our Pet Therapy program therapy dogs are brought into the home for one-on-one visits with residents who can’t or won’t come out to participate in regular activities.
- Gardening Program: Our Gardening Program is very popular with residents with a green thumb. All beds are raised to make access easy for all participants.
- Behavioural Support Team: Our Behavioural Support Team have a number of unique programs for working with residents living with dementia and other forms of cognitive impairment.
- Intergenerational Program: Our weekly Intergenerational program brings elementary school children into our home to spend the afternoon playing games, reading, and doing crafts with residents.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Certified Music Therapist
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist